Planning your Session
- Pick the right time. Schedule your session when you are in your seventh or eighth month of pregnancy. Your belly will have a lovely, full shape.
- Remember, when you schedule between weeks 31 and 36 also gives you plenty of time to order additional maternity photos.
- Bring your ultrasound with you. We can take a very special photo of mama and baby.
- Your maternity session could include the father and older children to reflect your beautiful growing family.
- Showing a bare tummy can be tricky. If you wish to show your bare tummy, wear loose-fitting clothing to avoid elastic/clothing marks.
- Avoid any glare. Apply lotion at least an hour before your session to avoid the shiny belly-look and staining your clothes.
- If you are showing bare skin, try to moisturize your knees and elbows.
- Hands are in important, too! Get a manicure or a light polish for a more finished look in a close up of your hands around your belly.
- Remove tight-fitting clothing and accessories, like watches and bracelets, at least two hours before your session.
- You may want to include a few baby things like a cute pair of shoes or a cherished family heirloom in your photo.
- View our maternity portfolio for additional photo ideas
You and your beautiful growing belly are the stars of your maternity photos. Here are a few additional suggestions to make this special moment in your life memorable.
- Solid colored shirts focus the attention on your tummy’s shape and glowing expression.
- Avoid big floral prints, swirls, plaids and stripes. Large patterns distract.
- Black clothing gives you a slim silhouette.
- Form-fitting clothes with a little stretch will compliment your figure rather than loose clothing.
- Long sleeves tend to be the most flattering, but sleeveless and spaghetti straps work well. Avoid t-shirt length sleeves.
- If you want to show your bare belly, consider wearing a top and skirt or pants that won’t leave binding marks across your tummy.
- Silk and cotton fabrics drape beautifully around a pregnant body.
- Empire-waist blouses and dresses, button-up shirts, tank tops, long drawstring skirts and tie dresses can really enhance your blossoming shape.
- Dark jeans and black tapering yoga pants make your legs look long and slim.
- Don’t forget the feet. Pick your footwear depending on your clothing. If your toes are exposed in a sandal-style, you might want to get a pedicure.
- If you choose tighter clothing, consider your undergarments with the style of clothing you choose to wear. You might not want lines showing through your clothing.
- When choosing ways to show your style, consider a cheerful scarf, or sweater – even chunky jewelry can add fun splashes of color.